Our Lady of Mt. Carmel School opened on September 26, 1933 under the administration of the Sisters Servants of the Blessed Sacrament (SJS), a Roman Catholic order of Religious Sisters who came to the United States from Mexico in 1926. The school started with seven students and four sisters.
In 1943, the management of the school was turned over to the Benedictine Sisters, who renamed the school San Ysidro Academy. They presided over the school for the next twenty-three years, until 1966. The Sisters Servants of the Blessed Sacrament returned and the school was renamed Our Lady of Mt. Carmel School. From then on, the Sisters Servants of the Blessed Sacrament have administered the school, giving students a strong academic background along with a firm foundation in Gospel values.
In the early 1990’s plans were initiated to replace the original classrooms. In November of 1992 the Diocese of San Diego approved blueprints for a more modernized and safer school building. Construction of the new structure began in March of 1993; the new building was completed in September of 1994. The campus consists of nine classrooms, science lab, computer lab, music lab, library, administrative offices, supply room, kitchen, and a multipurpose room with a stage. In response to parent demands and the opportunity to continue reinforcing the school enrollment, during the summer of 2008, the school purchased a portable classroom to start the Pre-Kindergarten program and a Learning Center for students with special needs and enhance reading and writing skills.
After seventy-eight years of service, Our Lady of Mount Carmel School is thankful to God for the opportunity to continue to provide quality Catholic education to the children of San Ysidro, the South Bay areas of San Diego, Chula Vista, and the Tijuana, B.C., Mexico community. This quality is evident by the trust shown by families who now have their second or third generation of children enrolled in our school.